Dr John Bain
Dr John Bain practices natural family dentistry in Farmington just a little over 3 miles from the University of Arkansas campus in Fayetteville. Our state-of-the-art office has many comforts including a garden view from every treatment room, paintings by his mother- gifted artist Jo Bain, and photographs Dr Bain has done.
Our low-radiation high-detail digital x-rays give excellent information with only around 10% of the radiation of regular x-rays.
Dr Bain is at the forefront nationwide of providing Mercury-Safe dentistry. While we have been Mercury-Free since the early 1990’s, being Mercury-Safe adds immensely to the health of our patients, staff, and the environment. Quite some time ago we added several measures for safety including a mercury vapor scavenger and a mercury-amalgam separator.
(Note: The term “mercury-free” simply means not doing mercury amalgam fillings. “Mercury-Safe” means protecting against mercury vapor inhalation, mercury absorption, and mercury ingestion plus keeping mercury out of the environment when removing mercury fillings.)
Dr Bain has been known as a leader in dentistry. Some of his affiliations and accomplishments include:
- Charter Member of the International Association of Mercury-Safe Dentists (IAMSD)
- Member of the International Association of Oral Medicine and Toxicology (IAOMT)
- Founding Member of the Academy of Interdisciplinary Dentofacial Therapy (AIDT)
- Fellow of the International College of Dentists (ICD)
- Graduated Magna Cum Laude from the University of Missouri at Kansas City-School of Dentistry
- Developed the General Dentist Implant Restoration Training Module for Biomet 3i (Implant Innovations Incorporated) in 2004
- Voted “Best Dentist Northwest Arkansas” by the readers of CitiScapes Metro Monthly 2007 (without a single solicitation for votes and without any of our dental team voting!)
- Lectured on implant dentistry in 2004 and 2005 in Atlanta, Boston, Denver, Dallas, Detroit, Oklahoma City, Nashville, etc.
- Completed “Solving Masticatory System Problems” at the Center For Advanced Dental Studies (In St. Petersburg, FL given by Dr. Peter Dawson and associates)
- Completed a mini-residency in Implant Dentistry in Yorba Linda, California with Nobel Biocare.
- “Young Dentist Of The Year” Award- Arkansas State Dental Association 1990
- Past Executive Council Member of the Arkansas State Dental Association (5 years)
- Dr Bain was among the first dentists in the nation to start purifying dental unit water lines (for patient safety) before there were any requirements to do so back in 1999.
- Dr Bain was mentored by his father, Dr. Calvin Bain, respected dentist and Past-President of the Arkansas State Dental Association.
Dr Catherine Akridge
Catherine Akridge DDS will be joining John Bain DDS in practice at Natural Family Dentistry this summer. And no, Dr. Bain is not nearly ready to retire plus Dr. Akridge wants a mentoring relationship with Dr. Bain for several years in a natural health oriented dental practice in Northwest Arkansas.
Their mentoring relationship began in February when Dr. Akridge began observing Dr. Bain treating patients while visiting here. While finishing at LSU School of Dentistry in New Orleans, Dr Akridge received frequent photos and discussions regarding treatment of various situations from Dr. Bain so that the mentoring could be ongoing even though long distance. To quote Dr. Bain, “I have never seen a young dentist so eager to learn all she can and as rapidly as she can!” Dr. Akridge says she has been given more reading assignments from Dr. Bain than her classmates that are going into general practice residency programs.
Dr. Akridge enjoys the study of natural health, bluegrass music, camping, yoga, hiking, canoeing, and interacting with people. She attended the University of Arkansas in Fayetteville for her Bachelor of Science in Biology. She was a member of Alpha Delta Pi sorority. She has been asked to give advice to pre-dental students at the University on how to study for the Dental Admissions Test (DAT) because she scored so high (97th percentile).
She passed her board exams on the first attempt so we are just waiting for the paperwork to be completed. We are hoping to start scheduling patients for Dr. Akridge in July. She will be doing hygiene services as she gets started along with natural family dentistry using the same materials and techniques that have worked so well for Dr. Bain.